September Community Recap
“Hey Alexa, play September by Earth, Wind & Fire.”
Now that I have the mood set with a favorite (and totally relevant!) song, it’s time to jump into the many exciting updates from September! Let’s jump into it.
📢 Major Release – Liquibase 4.5.0 & Quality Checks for database changes!
Liquibase 4.5.0 includes support for Liquibase quality checks, which allow you to run checks against changelogs and SQL scripts by flagging conditions and configurations you need. Liquibase quality checks were derived from 15 years of usage across thousands of users, dozens of database management systems, and a myriad of technology stacks. Learn more about quality checks.
Thank you to the following first-time contributors who helped make this major release possible:
What is Liquibase? What Developers Need to Know About Schema Migration – CockroachDB
CockroachDB invited Liquibase Project Founder, Nathan Voxland, to help unpack all the things that developers need to know about Liquibase. Not only that, we learned that Nathan’s high school mascot was (and currently is) a potato called “Spud.”
Hey, Liquibase Leaders! Be on the lookout for swag in the mail. Thank you for all of your contributions to the community. For those who are Liquibase Legends, we’ll be shipping out soon! Curious about Liquibase Legends? Join the community!
Liquibase Community Roundtable: Best Practices for Managing Liquibase Changelogs – October 14
We’re starting a new “Best Practices” format — an open forum to chat about Liquibase with fellow users. Liquibase Founder, Nathan Voxland will be there too!
Our first topic of discussion is best practices to get started managing Liquibase changelogs.
Questions to consider for discussion:
- What type of changelog do you use? (SQL, XML, YAML, JSON?)
- How does your team structure changelogs? (one big changelog? one per feature? one per release? something else?)
- What is the biggest challenge for you or your team when managing changelog(s)?
DevOps your Oracle Database with Liquibase in less than 1 hour – October 13
Using an Oracle database and want to get up and running with Liquibase? Register for
Rafal Grzegorczyk’s talk at HrOUG2021
We’re hiring a Technical Community Manager!
Want to join the Liquibase community team? We’re searching for a Technical Community Manager to help grow and engage with our community! This is a fully remote role and we encourage applicants from anywhere in the world.
This is what you’ll do:
- Learn Liquibase enough to be considered a Liquibase User or (ideally) a Liquibase Power User
- Write content that helps users learn about and use Liquibase
- Engage with users and contributors in the forum and across our other properties to help answer the questions and bring the community together
Content we ❤️
Thanks to all of the people in the community who share their stories, insights, and experience with Liquibase. Below are the top pieces of content from September.
- Spring Boot Microservices Coding Style Guidelines and Best Practices -Wenqi Glantz
- Databases: Is there any way to clear all tables using Liquibase? -Roel Van de Paar
- Full-fledged Test Automation of a Product with Complex Architecture -Jazz Team
- L’ajout d’un commentaire de champ dans liquidase provoque le changement d’enregistrement de bogue en même temps que le commentaire de table -BBS Max
- Distributed SQL Change Management Using Liquibase-Yugabyte Extension -Sfurti Sarah
- Liquibase Spring Boot – Generate ChangeLog and SQL Script files using Maven -Thai Tieu Loi
- 6 Key Takeaways from DORA s 2021 State of DevOps Report -Erika Kalar
- Making Database Changes Faster & Safer with Quality Checks -Pete Pickerill
Top Questions Asked in the Forum
These questions had the most views in our forum recently. Check out their answers from members of our community.
- Rollback tag in PostgreSQL
- How to use a tag command to rollback with xml formatted for postgesql
- Is there an update option to minimize reading DATABASECHANGELOG?
- A series of questions relating to the function of DATABASECHANGELOG
- Error running update
- How to properly modifiy a changeset with rollback
Top Forum Supporters of the Month
Thank you to all who have continued to support and contribute to Liquibase. As always, hop over to our community page to learn more about how to get involved.
See you next month with more updates!